[Blueboard] Corporate Social Responsibility

pathways at admu.edu.ph pathways at admu.edu.ph
Wed Jan 21 08:23:11 PHT 2004

Please post.

Good morning! :) I would like to share with you my article today at The Manila
Times. I hope that you find it a good read and forward it to your other
friends :) May you have a good day! Happy Chinese New Year! :)

The link to the article is (copy and paste to your browser):

http://www.manilatimes.net/national/2004/jan/21/yehey/opinion/20040121opi3.html

Or you may read the article below:

Corporate social responsibility
by: Harvey S. Keh
The Manila Times, January 21,2004

The past few weeks, I have had the privilege of talking with representatives
from corporations that are currently involved in education reform work. Last
Saturday night, I had the chance to talk to Cecille Alcantara of the Coca-Cola
Foundation. I was quite surprised to know about the extent of involvement that
their Little Red Schoolhouse Project has had into improving the public school
system. According to Ms. Alcantara, the Little Red Schoolhouse Project works
with the Department of Education (DepEd) in putting up school­buildings in
public schools that are based in far-flung rural communities. Aside from
providing schoolbuildings they also provide training to the teachers of the
public schools that they have chosen to support. Finally, to further
supplement the learning that the students get from the schools, the foundation
also provides training for the parents of the students for them to be able to
contribute not only to their child’s education but more importantly, to the
maintenance and continued improvement of the school. As the saying goes, “It
takes a village to raise a child,” thus, these interventions eventually hope
to be able to involve the whole community in improving the public schools
which would lead to the further enhancing the skills of their students.
Currently, this initiative has already helped more than 50 public schools
nationwide and an estimated 500,000 students and 12,000 teachers have
benefited from these programs.

Another person that I had the chance to talk to over the holiday season was
Makati Business Club (MBC) executive director, Guillermo Luz. During the short
conversation that we had, he mentioned to me that one of their main projects
along with the DepEd, Department of Trade and Industry (DTI), PBSP and Connect­
Ed.ph is the PCs for public schools project. As the project title speaks for
itself, the aim of the program is to reduce the computer backlog in public
high schools and to help more students gain access to the Internet. Statistics
have shown th0at less than 20 percent of our public high schools have
computers that are being used by students while less than 5 percent of our
public high schools have access to the Internet. Through the help of the
member corporations of the MBC and other corporate foundations, more than 120
public schools have already received these personal computer donations. By
making our students computer literate, we enable them to gain access to more
information and provide them better opportunities.

Worth mentioning as well is the program of Johnson and Johnson Philippines’
which helps public schools within the vicinity of their office at Parañaque.
Their main program is to help put books into the public schools and barangay
libraries. They ask their employees to participate in this project by donating
books and raising funds. This is one way of enabling their employees to feel a
sense of fulfillment in helping their immediate community.

Through these groups we have seen that the problem of public education in our
country is not something that the Department of Education can address on its
own. It needs the support of the greater community including the parents, the
local governments and the private sector. The effect of these corporate
outreach programs have been felt not only by the beneficiaries but the
employees of the companies as well. Studies have shown that employees who are
involved in social responsibility programs tend to be happier and more
fulfilled compared to those who do not take part in these kinds of activities.
Therefore, our corporations should really think about involving themselves
together with their staff in projects that would help uplift the plight of our
less-fortunate brothers and sisters. Through this synergy of resources, our
schools will rapidly improve to provide our children with more efficient and
effective services. In the end, corporate social responsibility will not only
create better schools but more importantly, it will create better citizens.

-

I would like to congratulate and thank the administration of Far Eastern
University (FEU) led by its president, Dr. Lydia Echauz for formally launching
their Pathways to Higher Education Program on January 16, 2004. We hope that
FEU-Pathways will be able to help students coming from the Manila Public
Schools attain a more meaningful future through higher education.  Thank you
as well to VPAA Lydia Palaypay, Dr. Violeta Jerusalem, Dr. Miriam Garcia, Dr.
Daisy Tey and Dr. Adelaida Fronda for continuing to support the Pathways
initiative.

For comments, you may email the writer at hkeh at ateneo.edu