[Blueboard] FILIPINO WRITERS IN ENGLISH: THEIR STORY, 1905-2002 by Edna Zapanta-Manlapaz

Maricor E. Baytion mbaytion at ateneo.edu
Fri Feb 27 08:20:45 PHT 2004

To celebrate women's month this March, the Ateneo Library of Women's Writings
and the Ateneo Press warmly invite you to the launching of  Edna
Zapanta-Manlapaz's FILIPINO WRITERS IN ENGLISH: THEIR STORY, 1905-2002," on
Tuesday, March 2, 4.30 pm. (If we are blessed with sunshine it will be at the
Quad 3, near the Social Sciences Bldg.; if we are blessed with rain, it will be
at the SEC C foyer.)

The book is the first of its kind in Philippine scholarship. It chronicles the
evolution of Philippine literature simultaneously in terms of medium (English)
and gender (women). In addition, the book proposes hypotheses regarding the
whys and wherefores of this specific segment of our literature.

Dr. Manlapaz's "painstaking research is in ample evidence here, not just in the
biographical accounts of the writers, but--and especially--in the discussion of
the critical reception of their works. Manlapaz skillfully weaves writers' and
critics' voices into her seamless narrative of the creative and sometimes
conflicting ways in which the Filipino women writers responded in their
writings to the sociopolitical and historical forces and situated themselves
within and against  the Philippine 'literary tradition.'"(Caroline S. Hau, back
cover blurb)

Among the women featured here are Paz Marquez Benitez, Paz Latorena, Loreto
Paras-Sulit, Angela Manalang-Gloria, Trinidad Tarrosa-Subido, Edith Tiempo,
Virginia Moreno, Tita Lacambra-Ayala, Ophelia Alcantara Dimalanta, Estrella
Alfon, Kerima Polotan-Tuvera, Aida Rivera-Ford, Gilda Cordero-Fernando, Linda
Ty-Casper, Myrna Peña-Reyes, Merlie Alunan, Marra PL. Lanot, Rowena
Tiempo-Torrevillas, Marjorie Evasco, Elsa Coscolluela, Merlinda Bobis, Fatima
Lim-Wilson, Luisa Igloria, Lina Espina-Moore, Ester Vallado DaRoy, Azucena
Grajo Uranza, Cristina Pantoja-Hidalgo, Ninotchka Rosca, Jessica Hagedorn,
Cecilia Manguerra-Brainard, Arlene Chai, Gina Apostol, Michelle Skinner, Tess
Uriza Holthe, Rosario Lucero, Ines Taccad Cammayo, Marianne Villanueva, Nita
Umali-Berthelsen, Joy Dayrit, Jessica Zafra, Connie Jan Maraan, Susan Lara,
Lakambini Sitoy, Norma Miraflor, Reine Arcache Melvin, Erma Cuizon, and Nadine
Sarreal.

Copies of the book are now available at the Press bookshop, and soon in good
bookstores nationwide.

Thank you and we hope you can come! (ALIWW, 4266001 ext 5811; Press, 4266001 ext
4613 or 4265984)

--

Ateneo de Manila University Press
Bellarmine Hall, ADMU Campus

Tel 63-2-4265984; 4266001 ext 4613
Fax 63-2-4265909
Email: unipress at admu.edu.ph
http://www.ateneopress.com

A real book is not one that we read, but one that reads us.
                                              - W.H. Auden