[Blueboard] Building a Nation of Learners

pathways at admu.edu.ph pathways at admu.edu.ph
Wed Feb 25 15:55:19 PHT 2004

Good day! :) I hope you can find the time to read our article today at The
Manila Times :) Please forward it to your friends who may need some source of
inspiration and hope amidst these times of uncertainty. Have a good day!

The link to the article is:

http://www.manilatimes.net/national/2004/feb/25/yehey/opinion/20040225opi5.html

Or you may read the article below:

Building a nation of learners
by: Harvey S. Keh
The Manila Times, February 25,2004

The college entrance examination results of the most prestigious colleges and
universities in Metro Manila have been released these past months to the
excitement of many graduating high-school students. For many parents, these
past weeks have been nerve-wracking since the results of these admission tests
may make or break their children’s future.

In this day and age where good job opportunities are rare and the supply of
college graduates are high, graduating from a good school often leads to a
distinct advantage. I remember a few years back when I myself waited in
anticipation for the results of admission exams of the three universities I
applied for. My parents nagged me almost everyday on the results of the exam.
Fortunately, I managed to pass in all three tests and the rest is history.

Anyway, like these parents, we at Ateneo-Pathways also await what schools will
accept our participants study this coming June. Fortunately, after almost two
years of being with most of them, the children manage to churn out very
impressive results. We have 6 who managed to pass the Ateneo de Manila
Entrance Test (ACET), 12 who passed the De La Salle Entrance Test, 25 who
passed University of Santo Tomas and 11 who hurdled the UPCAT.

For those who do not know, the 55 participants of Pathways come from depressed
communities in Mari­kina, Quezon City and Manila. These students are provided
with support services such as Review classes for the College Entrance Tests
and Personality Enhancement Workshops (PEW) to help build their character and
self-esteem. Special mention should also be given to Mr. Aurelio “Jun” Ramos
and the Loyola Student Center (LSC) for providing our participants with the
review classes that helped them prepare for these college entrance tests.

LSC has been with Pathways since our first year and has managed to help many
of scholars get to good schools. A product of this Pathways-LSC partnership is
Lorenzo Fabic of Concepcion High School in Marikina. Enzo, as he is called by
friends, recently received the San Ignacio de Loyola Merit Scholarship Award
that is given by the Ateneo de Manila to the top 5 graduating public high
school students who took the ACET. Through this scholarship grant, Enzo will
be able to study at the Ateneo for free. He may also be eligible to receive
allowances depending on his family’s financial status.

Mr. Ramos is also busy putting up a teacher’s training center in Cainta, Rizal
that would enable public school teachers from the nearby provinces to avail of
quality training in English and Mathematics for free. He also plans to make
this center a training ground for academically-gifted students who will be
sent abroad for international competitions.

Through these small projects, Mr. Jun Ramos and LSC hope to help improve the
lives of our less-fortunate brothers and sisters. Like what I mentioned in my
previous articles, it is institutions like LSC that provide our country some
glimmer of hope. I hope that by reading this article you may also be inspired
to do your own little share in helping build our nation through education. It
doesn’t take much to sacrifice a portion of our resources for our future and,
more importantly, our children’s future. Should you wish to help LSC, you may
call their office located along Katipunan Avenue at 929-9283 or 920-7644.

-

Another profile of hope that I’d like to share is that of A Better Chance
Foundation or ABC Foundation. This foundation was founded by Mr. Lewis
Edwards, an American businessman engaged in the importation of educational
books and other learning materials.

The foundation was founded in the middle of 2001 and seeks to help students
finish their high school education. Their main beneficiaries are those who
dropped out of school due to poverty and a variety of other reasons.

Through the support of its friends and other donors, the foundation has been
working with Sienna College in Taytay, Rizal to help over 90 high school
students finish their studies through its Night High School program. These
high school students are provided with books and other supplies that they need
for their classes. Teachers of Sienna College volunteer their time and
services to train these students every night.

It really moves my heart to see someone like Mr. Edwards. He is not a
Filipino, yet he has given so much of his time and resources toward uplifting
the lives of our youth. I hope that we as Filipinos can emulate his example
and share what we have with those who have none. If you would like to help or
learn more about ABC Foundation, you may call them at 632-0262 or 632-9664.

-

URGENT HELP is needed by our Lumad brothers and sisters in Miarayon, Bukidnon,
as a land dispute has displaced over 300 of them. They could face starvation
as a result. There is a need for the following: Rice (for Mindanao donors),
Cash to buy food, Smart cell cards to be used for faster communication with
community leaders and any radio equipment. For more details, please call the
Cartwheel Foundation at 631-4972 or 634-2516.

-

For comments, you may email the writer at hkeh at ateneo.edu