[Blueboard] ASH WEDNESDAY MASS AT THE GESU

Church of Gesu gesu at admu.edu.ph
Fri Feb 20 14:17:09 PHT 2004

ASH WEDNESDAY MASS
February 25, 2004, 5:00 PM
Church of the Gesu

Presider and Homilist: Fr. Rene Javellana, SJ
Choir: Ateneo College Ministry Group

-------

"Blow the trumpet, proclaim a fast, call an assembly..."

Ash Wednesday and the days leading to the first Sunday of Lent are days of
readiness, days of preparation. They are, in a sense, the time the church
gives us to separate ourselves from ordinary times and ease ourselves into
a new way of life marked by praying, fasting and almsgiving.

The liturgies for these days are rich in images that call us to this
conversion:
	Return to me with your whole heart...
	Gather the people...
	Be reconciled to God...
	Now is the acceptable time...

With the sign of ashes we begin our journey to Easter.  With the sign of
ashes we are summoned to die with Christ and we are summoned to live with
Christ.  We make a beginning with ashes on this day, and we will end this
season in the fire of easter vigil.

It is a day of fast and abstinence.  Fasting gains its full and powerful
significance when it is used as a means to a positive end.  God intends
fasting to lead us more ready to pray, more willing to share in the
suffering of those who lack sufficient food, and to save money to help
people who are poorer than we are.  For us who believe, fasting should
open our hearts to God and to his people.  It is a privileged form of
penance, most pleasing to the Lord.

It is a day of prayer. Today is a good time to begin improving one's
personal prayer life.  It is also a time to encourage prayer for the poor,
the oppressed, the victims of injustice, of war and natural disasters.

It is a day of reflective reading in the scripture. During Lent, we are
called to pay closer attention to God's word.  It would be a good day for
a serious, meditative reading of the Sermon on the Mount.

It is a day to begin. Today is the day to start carrying out what we have
resolved to do.

Mass and communion should continue as the center of our Lenten efforts.
Participation in the daily eucharistic celebrations will help us grow in
faith and love.

ASH WEDNESDAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF LENT. BEGIN WELL AND CONTINUE IN THIS
SPIRIT UNTIL WE REACH THE EASTER VIGIL CELEBRATION.

For inquiries, commments or suggestions, kindly contact:

                          GESU LITURGICAL COMMITTEE
                             Church of the Gesu
                        Ateneo de Manila University

		            Telephone Numbers:

      For reservations:  Marife at 426-6069 or 426-6001 loc.4071
	   To contact the Gesu Campus Ministers:
	  	   Edmark at 426-6001 loc. 5160-61
		   Jerome at 426-6001 loc. 7154

		            Fax Number:  426-6088