[Blueboard] EDSA I and EDSA II Mass at the Gesu

ccamacho at ateneo.edu ccamacho at ateneo.edu
Tue Feb 10 16:33:48 PHT 2004

In a Lenten Lecture delivered at the Ateneo de Manila University on March
10, 1971, Fr. Horacio de la Costa, S.J. had this to say:

  "Now the development of people can only be brought about by the people
themselves.  No one can do it for them; not government; not the Church;
not foreign aid.  Only they can do it.  But they cannot do it if their
energies are sapped and their initiatives thwarted by an unjust and
oppressive social order.  And so it is there that development must begin;
in the dismantling of institutionalized injustice; in setting people
free."

And we did set ourselves free - not once, but twice in EDSA I and EDSA II.
 However, the forces that sought to destroy our faith in our ability to
build our nation remain in our midst.  They have all but succeeded in
making a mockery of our efforts at national development.

How fitting it is, then, to refresh our memories of the nobility of the
Filipino dramatized in EDSA I and EDSA II by attending the EDSA I and
EDSA II Mass at the Gesu on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 at 12:00 noon, a
week before we usher in the Lenten Season on Ash Wednesday, February 25,
2004.  Fr. Bienvenido F. Nebres, S.J., Dean of the College of Arts and
Sciences of the Ateneo of the 70's, will be presider and homilist.

Let us enkindle in our hearts the fire of love of country and of the good
that is in all of us, for, as Fr. de la Costa wisely put it, "Our
struggle for liberation must therefore be not only against the forces
that now divide our national community, but against the forces that would
further divide it, and transform what is already a fragmentation into an
anarchy."

Benilda S. Santos, Ph.D.
Dean
School of Humanities