[Blueboard] (no subject)

EMAdrales eadrales at ateneo.edu
Thu Dec 9 23:44:01 PHT 2004

Congratulations to

Reinabelle C. Reyes
(IV BS Physics)
2nd Place, Young Scientist Competition
and
Joseph Patrick D. Echevarria
(IV BS Physics with Computer Engineering)
3rd Place, Young Scientist Competition

They were among five science students awarded by the National Academy of
Science and Technology after their research presentation on December 8,
2004 at the Traders Hotel, Manila. First place went to Edward Carlo Samson
(V BS Physics, UP). The other finalists were Noelle Andrea Fabie (IV BS
MBB, UP) and Wilfrido Kabiling (V BS IE, DLSU).

Reina's work on "Successive Lorentz Boosts: Equivalent Boost and Rotation
Using Geometric Algebra" presents a more intuitive and graphical approach
to the standard equations for special relativity. This could be a tool to
facilitate a more solid grasp of fundamental but abstract concepts in the
physics of relativistic systems.

Patrick's work on "Small-Scale Wind Turbine: Design, Assembly and
Performance Testing" responds to the challenge of using our largely
untapped wind resource as an alternative source of energy. Instead of
large-scale windmill farms, however, its focus is on the small-scale wind
turbine for low-wind and intermittent conditions.

Again, congratulations to Reina and Patrick. We are truly proud of you!

Office of the Dean
School of Science & Engineering
Ateneo de Manila University
Locals 5600 - 5603