[Blueboard] Closure of pedestrian crossings at Gate 3

lkmendoza at ateneo.edu lkmendoza at ateneo.edu
Thu Apr 1 17:05:48 PHT 2004

just a thought.

in many countries, there are designated places for traffic "items", such
as specific bus spots, pedestrian crossings, and u-turn slots.  these are
not ALWAYS located at the nearest points for members of the community
(e.g. right in front of a school, your home, or your place of business).
exits on the freeway or motorway, or train stations can be located
several meters or even kilometers from where it would have been more
convenient for a commuter to get off or exit.  but in the interest of
planning for a community so that traffic flow is smoother FOR ALL, these
individual interests have had to be subordinated to a bigger cause.

in the years i have driven or commuted to ateneo, i have always
commiserated with motorists not from ateneo or miriam who have had to
deal with the "special" traffic treatment given to these private schools.
 i can expect my schedule to be shot if i am in the katipunan area at 7
in the morning or as early as 3 in the afternoon, owing to grade school
kids, high school kids, and college kids in their cars monopolising the
traffic light and crossings at gate 3 just so there will be no traffic
inside ateneo.

other people, not atenistas or "miramers", have been inconvenienced far
too long by our "need" for convenience.

now MMDA is putting its foot down and trying to plan something for the
good of a bigger community than private school patrons and students.  i
support BF and his staff in trying to make things work for a community.
its about time our students, faculty, and staff learn how to use their
legs to walk to that nice overpass at gate 2 and stop complaining their
petty complaints.

lara mendoza

Quoting saligan at saligan.org: