[Blueboard] An Invitation from Pathways to Higher Education

pathways at admu.edu.ph pathways at admu.edu.ph
Fri Oct 17 15:59:51 PHT 2003

Please Post.

Dear Fellow member of the Ateneo community,

Good day to you!

In a time when we seem to be getting a daily dose of crimes,
scandals and politicking, we find ourselves asking if there is hope left for
our country.  May we then invite you to read about some stories of hope.

Julie Ann Manguerra is 17 years old and is the daughter of both
seasonal factory workers in Fortune Tobacco. She graduated Valedictorian in
ParangHigh School and is now taking up BS Nursing in FEU.

Mary Rose Patingo is 17 years old and is the eldest in a brood of
five.She graduated from Bagong Silangan High School in Quezon City. Her
fatheris a tricycle driver while her mother is a housewife.  Mary Rose is
currently taking up BS Accountancy in Assumption College under the
SocialDevelopment Scholarship.

Bernie Nebres is 17 years old and is the son of Felix and Adelaida,
a foodvendor.  Youngest in a brood of four, he is the first in the family
toenter college.  He graduated from Lagro High School and is currently
taking up BS Education in CEU under the President's Scholarship.  He
is also class president and is a member of his school's track and field
team.

Julie Ann, Rose and Bernie are just some of the students that
Pathways to Higher Education is helping.  This program aims to provide
academically gifted but financially disadvantaged students with brighter
futures byattaining a college education.  Through the generosity of our
partners,we have 32 promising students who are currently enrolled as freshmen
in topnotch universities and colleges in Metro Manila.

Fueled by our desire to help more students attain brighter futures,
Pathways has decided to embark on a college financial assistance
undertaking.  Recent statistics have shown that almost 40% of our
Filipino young adult population either drop out of college or do not
pursue college education at all.  And the few who actually do get to
college sometimes might not even get to finish due to the lack of
financial resources. To address this, we established a program where
wetarget third year college students who are unable to pursue their
lastyear of college.  Once under this program, the students will receive
anallowance to cover the "hidden costs" which students incur in the
course of studying such as books, transportation, food, photocopying and
specialprojects.

It is with this regard that we would like to invite you to share the
gift of education with others, which nowadays has ceased to be a right for
many.  Your contribution will help in realizing a student's dream of
finishing college.

P1,000.00 will cover transportation and food expenses for a month.

P500.00 will cover transportation expenses for a month.

Should you be interested to contribute to our cause, please feel
free to contact us at 426-6001 loc. 4047 or email Carissa Villanueva at
cvillanueva at ateneo.edu You can also visit us at Alingal Hall in front
of the Cevini Residence Hall.

Thank you for taking time out to read this note.  Please help us by
passing this on to people you think may be able to help us.  God
bless and have a nice day!

NAME: _______________________________________
NICKNAME: ___________________
ADDRESS: ____________________________________

Sincerely,

Carissa Villanueva
Asst. Project Officer for Marketing & Strategy

Solvie T. Nubla
Project Officer for Marketing