[Blueboard] Moving to the Future in UAAP Basketball

Rona Valenzuela mvalenzuela at ateneo.edu
Mon Oct 13 08:32:02 PHT 2003

Ateneo de Manila University
OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT

MEMO TO   :    THE ATENEO DE MANILA UNIVERSITY COMMUNITY

       FROM   :    THE PRESIDENT

  SUBJECT   :    MOVING TO THE FUTURE IN UAAP BASKETBALL

The tensions that arose in the last three Ateneo-De La Salle games and the scuffles and animosity both in the playing court and in the spectator stands have raised serious issues not just of sportsmanship, but of values and ideals central to our foundation and mission as Catholic universities. We affirm the formative role of competitive sports, but they must be within the higher values fundamental to our mission. Thus Dr. Carmelita Quebengco, Interim President of DLSU, and Bro. Armin Luistro, FSC, Incoming President of DLSU and I met to discuss how we should respond to our responsibilities as leaders of our universities, with a deep concern for our shared Christian values and ideals.

            We agreed to work together to highlight and foster areas of joint mission and cooperation between our students and our communities in different areas of endeavor, sports, academics and service. We are aware that there are already these joint endeavors, for example in the area of work with the public schools and in building homes and community for the poor.

            In the arena of UAAP competitive sports, Ateneo de Manila is the host this year and De La Salle will be the host next year. We agreed to work together with the other UAAP Presidents and the UAAP Board to improve and strengthen the policies and processes in the UAAP that will ensure fairness and sportsmanship and will make this fairness and sportsmanship clear to all.

            While we are sure that our university communities as a whole share in these concerns and values, we also realize that we need time for the tensions from the last events to calm down. It is thus our shared decision that our university basketball teams will not play together in the two post-season leagues: Bantay Bata and the Champions' League. Since the Bantay Bata games are at a time when Ateneo College still has final exams, our agreement is that Ateneo de Manila will play in the Champions' League and De La Salle in Bantay Bata.

            With the cooperation and commitment of our university communities, we have every confidence that we will overcome the problems of this year and move forward to fulfilling our shared mission in student formation, research, service, as well as competitive sports in service of God and country.

                                                                                BIENVENIDO F. NEBRES, S.J.