[Blueboard] The October Medal

L/S Campus Ministry Office ls_cmo at admu.edu.ph
Mon Oct 6 11:31:11 PHT 2003

You can get your October Medals from the Campus Ministry Office.
--------

MARIAN DEVOTION: THE ATENEO WAY

St. Ignatius of Loyola, founder of the Society of Jesus,  was a devotee
of the Blessed Virgin Mary. His first act after his conversion was to
offer his sword signifying his offering of self to Our Lady of Monserrat.

Mary under the title of the Immaculate Conception is the patroness of the
Ateneo de Manila University.  During the month of October, which is
dedicated to the most Holy Rosary,  the month of Mary, Ateneans,  with
their deep and tender devotion to the Mother of God, have a long-standing
tradition of not only carrying the rosary in their pockets, but also
wearing the blue-ribboned October medal.  The image of the miraculous
medal pinned on their chests ever reminds them of their prayer: "Mary for
you, for your white and blue. We pray you'll keep us, Mary, constantly
tru,  we pray you'll keep us Mary faithful to you."

The tradition of wearing the October Medal begun as the Ateneo moved from
old Padre Faura to  Loyola Heights campus in the early 50's.

When we wear the Medal of Mary we proclaim that we are Ateneans: sons of
God, sons of Ignatius, sons of Mary.

"Mary, place us with your Son."

THE STORY OF THE OCTOBER MEDAL

The October Medal is technically the Medal of the Immaculate Conception,
commonly called the Miraculous Medal due to the circumstances of its
origin and the many miracles connected to its pious use.

The Medal was revealed in a vision to St. Catherine Labouré, a novice of
the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul.  The event took place in
the chapel of the motherhouse of the Sisters of Charity, in Paris, France
on November 27, 1830.

The Visions:

July 18, 1830
A little child of extra-ordinary beauty and radiance whom she recognized
as her guardian angel  awakened St. Catherine.  He led her to the chapel

where she saw a Lady descend the altar steps and seated herself in the
director's chair in the sanctuary. In this vision Catherin told her that
God wished to entrust her with a mission.

November 27, 1830
The medal itself was given.  The vision was a kind of a tableau where
Catherine saw what we now see in the medal itself, front and back.  Mary
told her to have a medal struck after the model.

Mary promised that,
"All who wear it will receive great graces...
Graces will abound for persons who wear it with confidence."

For inquiries, comments or suggestions kindly contact:

                       L/S CAMPUS MINISTRY OFFICE
                        First Floor, Kostka Hall
                             Loyola Schools
                       Ateneo de Manila University