[Blueboard] From National to Regional Construction in Southeast Asia

mmartinez at ateneo.edu mmartinez at ateneo.edu
Wed Feb 26 17:02:10 PHT 2003

Kindly post. Thanks!

                         The Department of History
                        Ateneo de Manila University

                       invites everyone to a talk by

                            Dr. Stéphane Dovert
                                 Director
              Research Institute on Contemporary Southeast Asia

          From National to Regional Construction in Southeast Asia

                                    on

                        February 28, 2003 - Friday
                               3:30 - 4:20PM
                       Procter & Gamble Lecture Hall
                               (SEC C 201A)

With Globalization becoming the catch phase, we are inclined to assume that the
widest political constructions are the best. In our mind, large scales and
modernity become synonymous.

>From a historical perspective, things are much more complicated. The relations
between people and their political systems have mutated considerably over time.
However, civilization has not always cut a path through the biggest or the most
centralized states.

The national construction processes in most Southeast Asian countries have been
quite recent. It has necessitated some "rebuilding" of the past. The
suitability of this rebuilding in the current regional construction process at
a time when the ASEAN and other regional organizations are supposed to be
increasingly in charge of the Southeast Asian destiny is what this talk aims to
address.