[Blueboard] A Nationwide Prayer Assembly for Peace

Ma. Luz C.Vilches mvilches at ateneo.edu
Mon Feb 24 13:43:58 PHT 2003

THE BISHOP OF THE DIOCESE OF NOVALICHES
Cathedral of the Good Shepherd
Regalado Avenue, Fairview Park I, Quezon City

Greetings of Peace in the Lord!

"Efforts must be multiplied," the Pope said.  "One must not resign oneself,
almost as if the war was inevitable."

Millions all over the world responded to this plea of the Holy Father
during the "weekend of protests".  In our country, "Stand for Peace" was
visible in the schools, communities, and churches.  On February 21, His
Eminence Jaime Cardinal L. Sin called for Prayer for Peace at the EDSA
Shrine.  Other distinguished leaders and groups are set to hold their own
activities for peace in the days to come.  These will be happening both in
Manila and other parts of the country.  These are streams of rivers that
must reach the mother sea. And we are very much cheered by these
developments. But the US President's heart seems to still be intent on a
pre-emptive war against Iraq.

February 28, 2003 and the days following are very important days for all
our efforts now. On that day, the U.N. Inspection Team will make its final
report to the U.N. Security Council.  And this may also be the signal for
the USA to proceed with its war of aggression.  We can not just let this
day pass.  We must make our voice heard against a pre-emptive strike
without U.N. authorization.

"Vox populi, Vox Dei,"  On February 28, 2003, let us gather in our biggest
number in the "Nation-wide Prayer Assembly for Peace."  In Manila, we are
holding it at the Luneta Grandstand from 1:00 PM to 6:00 PM.  Let us
double, triple, and quadruple our "Stand for Peace." Let us compel the USA,
its allies to abandon war and pursue the path of peace.

Thank you very much.  This is our assurance:  "Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God." (Mt. 5:9)

TEODORO C. BACANI, JR. D.D.
Bishop of Novaliches

N.B. For Inquiries, please contact 0916-9099872, 0916-3527045, 9255906, 9329581