[Blueboard] Heroes' Portraits Exhibits

Angelli Tugado atugado at pusit.admu.edu.ph
Fri Feb 21 10:39:10 PHT 2003

The University community is cordially invited to view the exhibits

Portraits of the Filipino as Hero
(the Ellen Fajardo Collection of paintings by Rafael del Casal; text by
Nick Joaquin)
and

Ateneo Heroes

held at  the Pardo de Tavera Room, 2nd Floor, Rizal Library. Formally
opened on Wednesday, 19 February 2003, the exhibit of Portraits will run
until 7 March while those of the Ateneo Heroes until 31 March 2003.
Faculty are encouraged to bring their students to these exhibits.

Of these portraits, Nick Joaquin writes: "HEROIC was our age of
Enlightenment because our masterminds were also master muscles, as gifted
with brawn.  Actual physical courage in most of them accompanied
intellectual audacity.  ...The Philippines is unique in this:  that its
heroes are not military legends but highbrows.  They were called
Ilustrados: the Enlightened, but could just as well be called the
Unfrightened....
May these portraits of the Filipino as hero recall us to the time when,
unknown and untried, infirm and defective, we nevertheless rose to the
challenges of heroism by fighting for the freedom of our country and thus
displaying a viva of verve, a talent for greatness."

The Dean, School of Humanities, Director of the Rizal Library and the
Ateneo Heroes Memorial Committee collaborated in presenting these exhibits.

The Pardo de Tavera room is located on the second floor of the Rizal
Library, Ateneo de Manila University, Loyola Heights, Quezon City. It is
open Mondays to Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.