[Blueboard] Prayers & Support for Our Senior Team in the UAAP Finals

Rona Valenzuela ronapres at admu.edu.ph
Mon Sep 23 10:03:09 PHT 2002

Clear Day
Ateneo de Manila University
OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT

MEMO TO   :    THE UNIVERSITY COMMUNITY

       FROM   :    THE PRESIDENT

  SUBJECT   :    PRAYERS AND SUPPORT FOR OUR SENIOR TEAM IN THE
                          UAAP FINALS

            With Gec Chia's winning jumper at the buzzer yesterday -- a shot that will remain in the annals of dramatic moments in Ateneo sports -- we will be entering the UAAP Finals against La Salle this Thursday. I write to ask for your continuing support and prayers for our team.

            Last night after the game, Fr. Tito and I celebrated mass at the Ateneo Church of the Gesù for the players and for alumni, parents and friends. Two remarks captured our feelings and spirit after the dramatic victory. One alumnus said, "This is the Ateneo tradition -- a team that fights with heart and spirit." A second one said, "We came back from the dead."

            This has been a season which started with severely discouraging setbacks. Paolo Bugia and Magnum Membrere were badly injured and were out for the season. We played tentatively and then we had three losses in a row. After the third loss, I remember Mr. Manny Pangilinan telling me just before the funeral mass for my mother that LA Tenorio was also injured. At this low point, I asked to meet with the team to assure them of our prayers and support and to assure Rich Alvarez that, in the face of the suspension handed him, we knew that he was always a cool and clean player and were with him. From what was our lowest point, our team came back and since then won all their games. With the injuries at the beginning of the season, we said that the reserves would simply have to step up. In the last seven games they did. In the Final Four, they took the controversial calls and the last-minute suspension of Sonny Tadeo and did not lose focus. They have shown us teamwork, faith, character and courage -- the ultimate reasons we believe in the importance of varsity sports in Ateneo life.

            Let us be with them then in our prayers and support as they enter the finals. As we sing at the end of every game and sang last night at the mass as well:

            Mary, for you, for your white and blue.

            We pray you’ll keep us, Mary, constantly true.

            We pray you’ll keep us, Mary, faithful to you.

                                                                                                BIENVENIDO F. NEBRES, S.J.