[Blueboard] Ways of seeing, manners of speaking

Baytion . Ma. Corazon alunsina at admu.edu.ph
Thu Sep 19 18:46:01 PHT 2002

COLONIZING FILIPINAS, by Elizabeth Mary Holt, is a pioneering work in the
study of US-Philippine relations in that it looks at Woman/women and
sexuality in the context of colonial power and gender issues. The author
examines such varied texts as newspaper articles, paintings, photographs,
travel narratives and cartoons to demonstrate how the American conquest was
carried through at the level of discourse and representation in early
nineteenth century. At the same time, as Dr. Reynaldo Ileto writes in the
foreword, the book does not just show how colonial power was wielded this
way, but also "highlights local knowledges that threatened to
disrupt the colonial ordering of things."

PAHIWATIG: Kagawiang Pangkomunikasyon ng Filipino, by Melba Padilla
Maggay, is similarly groundbreaking work as it probes the depths of
ambiguity, a culture theme which can be seen in the way we communicate
with each other. (Note, for example, the  countless ways through which we
say "no" without really saying it outright, perhaps for fear of hurting
the other person's feelings?) Maggay analyzes our use of words, and the
culture inscripted in non-verbal codes like body movements and gestures,
the use of space, sense of time and cognitive orientation. It also reveals
startling insights on how we use mass media and its relation to the
rhetorical conventions of a literate but still largely oral society.

Published by the Ateneo de Manila University Press, these books are now
available at the Press bookshop [(02)-4265984, 4266001 ext 4612/6;
unipress at admu.edu.ph], and soon in bookstores nationwide.

For Ateneo faculty, staff and students, don't forget to claim your
discounts when buying Press titles!

-Read, in order to live.
           Gustave Flaubert