[Blueboard] A Time to Give Thanks

Rona Valenzuela ronapres at admu.edu.ph
Wed Oct 9 08:50:16 PHT 2002

Clear Day

Ateneo de Manila University
OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT

MEMO TO   :    THE UNIVERSITY COMMUNITY

       FROM   :    THE PRESIDENT

  SUBJECT   :    A TIME TO GIVE THANKS

Last Saturday, September 28, we gathered together for mass at the Ateneo Church of the Gesù, and in my homily I recalled the reading the previous day from Ecclesiastes:

            For everything there is a season, and a time for everything under heaven

A time to die, and a time to be born

            A time to break down, and a time to build up

A time to weep, and a time to laugh

            A time to mourn, and a time to dance

            We prayed, "Lord, it is time."

And so it came to pass last Saturday, October 5, that it was time. Our time for victory and our time to laugh and to dance.

And, yes, our time to celebrate.

            But it is also a time to remember and to give thanks:

To the whole Ateneo community for our coming together in faith and in courage in support of this our quest.

To Fr. Tito Caluag for his personal care and presence for the team and the Office of Planning and Development & Alumni Affairs and the University Athletics Office for being there for all of us through this memorable season.

To Mr. Manny Pangilinan, Mr. Cecilio Pedro, Mr. Tonyboy Cojuangco, Mr. David Coyukiat and Mr. Arben Santos for their personal and wholehearted support and encouragement, especially at our lowest points during the season.

To Coach Joel Banal and the whole coaching staff and Dr. George Canlas, Chester Tiongson and the Moro Lorenzo Sports Center staff for their guidance and inspiration both in time of defeat and frustration and in time of victory and joy.

            To the parents and families of the team who remained constant and unwavering in their presence, prayers and support.

To our players above all for keeping faith and keeping courage in a season that tested their wills and their hearts.

To those who have played their last season for the Ateneo, Rico Villanueva, Andrew Cruz, Gec Chia, Chris Quimpo, Mark Benitez and Sonny Tadeo, our special thanks and prayers go with you.

In these last weeks, our Church of the Gesù has become the shrine where we have brought our quest, our hopes, our defeats and our victories.

We prayed for faith, for courage and for victory.

We thank the Lord and our Blessed Mother for the gift of victory. But we thank them above all for the greater gifts of faith and courage.

                                                                                    BIENVENIDO F. NEBRES, S.J.