[Blueboard] Break In Info

Rita S. de Villa rita at admu.edu.ph
Wed Nov 20 16:04:43 PHT 2002

TO : THE UNIVERSITY COMMUNITY

RE : ROBBERY IN THE OFFICE OF PLANNING AND
  DEVELOPMENT & ALUMNI AFFAIRS (OPD&AA)

FROM: Carmelo A. Caluag II, S.J.

At 6:00 a.m. of Tuesday the 19th, I entered my office and discovered
that my safe (around 1.5 feet x 2 feet, heavy steel with insulation and
can only be carried by 2 strong men or maybe 3 men) was stolen.  There
were no signs of a break-in, glass door leading into the OPD&AA and the
wooden door leading into my private office were both locked, and all
windows, which have grills, were all untouched.  The alarm in the
administration building did not go on. I immediately reported the
incident to campus security, who promptly came, and later on called
Precinct 9, which also sent a team of investigators.

The last person inside my office was my secretary who locked up the
office at around 6:00 p.m. of 18 November, and the last persons in the
OPD&AA were two members of our staff who left at around 7:30 p.m.  The
last group in the administration building was in the Treasurer’s Office
and left at around 10:00 p.m.  Robbery, therefore, must have taken place
between 10:00 p.m. of 18 November and 6:00 a.m. of 19 November.

The safe was later found in the garbage dumping area beside the tricycle
terminal near Gonzaga Hall.  The door was ripped off and all contents of
the safe were gone.  The safe contained around U.S.$2,000.00 or more and
Php 10,000.00 (for a total of around Php 100,000.00 plus), some personal
and school documents, and my passport.

I am closely coordinating with campus security and also investigators to
be assigned by the Department of the Interior and Local Government
(DILG).  Rest assured that I would pursue the investigation until we
apprehend the culprits.  This is the third or fourth similar incident
this school year and we must exert all efforts to put a stop to this.

It was a rather distressing experience, feeling that one’s personal,
private space was violated.  I do not wish this to happen to anyone in
our community, so let us pray that we finally catch the people behind
these series of robberies.  I also ask all to take necessary precautions
to avoid such an experience.

Thank you for your attention.  God’s blessings.