[Blueboard] Philippine Maps Exhibit Re-run, 14-28 Nov

Angelli Tugado atugado at pusit.admu.edu.ph
Sat Nov 16 11:22:49 PHT 2002

Due to insistent public demand, the exhibit entitled, "Putting the
Philippines on the Map" is being presented for another limited run from 14
through 28 November 2002 at the Pardo de Tavera Room in the Rizal  Library.
Once again, the Ateneo community is warmly invited.

Of this exhibit, Dr. Leovino Ma. Garcia, Dean of the School of Humanities,
Loyola Schools, writes:
         To look at a map is to view the world from above. It is in some
way to be like God who sees everything. To view everything is to be
everywhere, to feel sovereign, to experience the power of controlling
everything and everyone. There is a compelling link between cartography and
sovereignty.
         Antique maps, whose appeal comes from the unique synthesis of
geography, exploration, travel, history and art, continue to fascinate us
not only because they are documents of aesthetic beauty and instruments of
knowledge but also because they are icons of power.
         The exhibit offers the rare treat of viewing four of the earliest
separately-printed maps of the Philippines by Petrus Kaerius (1598), Johann
Natalius Metellus (1598), Cornelius Wytfliet (1605) and Petrus Bertius
(1618); and two maps of Fr. Pedro Murillo Velarde.
         By some kind of dialectic, these antique maps help us appropriate
a fuller consciousness of our country as a center from which we relate to
others. Antique maps, like the Mercator-Hondius (1613) map which puts the
Philippines at the very center of Southeast Asia, can fire our imagination
and strengthen our resolve to help put the Philippines, not only in the
heart of Asia but most of all, as a nation in Asia, with a heart all its own.

         The Pardo de Tavera room is located on the second floor of the
Rizal Library, Ateneo de Manila University, Loyola Heights, Quezon City. It
is open Mondays to Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Angelli F. Tugado
Assistant to the Dean
School of Humanities
Loyola Schools