[Blueboard] Palliative Care Brochure

sjsasec sjsasec at pusit.admu.edu.ph
Tue Jul 2 00:25:17 PHT 2002

INA-aruga - Seminar Workshop on Active Total Care of Individual in Pain...

                                July 19-21, 2002
                                La Verna Retreat House
                                Iruhin, Tagaytay City

"You matter because you are you.  You matter to the last moment of your life, and we will do all we can not only to help you to die peacefully but to live until you die."

                                                                                            Dame Cecily Saunders

    Seeking to be halpful to another person is never easy.  It maybe fraught with difficulties and fears.  We are frequently unsure wether we can really be helpful or wether the person really wants our help.  We are also uncertain as to what might be most helpful and beneficial.  And we never fully understand all that maybe involved in a person's needs and struggles.

    Yet we need to be careful that we don't make it all so complecated that we are paralyzed into inactivity.  This is not to say that we should rush in with our good intentions, which maybe wide of mark.  Careful ilistening and sensitivity are always called for.  But the important thing is that we start where we can and respond to what is at hand.
    This simple start mights possibly lead to the new opportunities and further ways to serve the other person.  It takes time to build bridgs of trust and openness.  This is so even for people who are pressed by deep needs.  It therefore takes time to come to the place where we can serve another more meaningfully.

                                                                                                - Charles Rigma

 TOPICS

Session 1: THE PHILOSOPHY OF PALLIATIVE CARE
    a.. Principles of Palliative Care
    b.. Concepts basic to the provision of Palliative Care
    c.. The issue of hope
    d.. Palliative Care of the person with long term illness
Session 2: THE EFFECTS OF ATTITUDE ON CARE OF INDIVIDUALS IN PAIN
Session 3: THE COMPLEXITY OF THE CHRONIC PAIN PHENOMENA
Session 4: NURSING INTERVENTION TOWARDS THE END OF LIFE
Session 5: LOSS & GRIEF
Session 6: COMMUNICATION ISSUES
Session 7: SELF CARE FOR THE PROFESSIONAL CARE GIVER
    a.. Management of Multiple Loss
    b.. Strategies for Self Care
SCHEDULES

19 July (Friday)
2:00 PM
Registration: La Verna Retreat House

21 July (Sunday)
3:00 PM
End of Workshop: Departure

LECTURER/FACILITATOR

LARRI HAYHURST
...is a UK trained nurse and health care professional educator in Australia whose area of expertise is Palliative Care.  She's trained as counselor with the Anglican Counseling Service and studied Theology full time for two years.  She has a post graduate certificate in the Education of Adults from the University of Surrey (UK).

Currently, she is a teaching consultant in Palliative Care.  she designs, facilitates and evaluates education programs at the request of organization who consult with her.  Among her clients are; University of South Wales Faculty of medicine, the World Health Organization; various hospitals and aged care services in Australia and San Lazaro Hospital in Manila.

She is an associate of NSW College of Nursing and member of the NSW Palliative Care Association.

METHODOLOGY

    a.. Interactive experiential process
    b.. Learner-driven

FILL UP FORMS