[Blueboard] World Day of Prayer and Fasting (December 14, 2001)

Rona Valenzuela ronapres at admu.edu.ph
Wed Dec 12 13:48:37 PHT 2001

Clear Day

MEMO TO:    THE UNIVERSITY COMMUNITY

      FROM:    THE PRESIDENT

 SUBJECT:    WORLD DAY OF PRAYER AND FASTING   (DECEMBER 14, 2001)

        Below is a letter from His Eminence Jaime Cardinal L. Sin regarding December 14, 2001 being a Day of Fasting and Prayer for peace and an end to violence.

        May I ask that we keep these intentions in our masses on December 14 and that each one of us enter into the spirit of penance and prayer in the following of the the Holy Father's call.

                                                                                    BIENVENIDO F. NEBRES, S.J.

DAY OF PRAYER AND FASTING

        There is violence all over the world.  More and more people are living in fear.  We dread the threat of war.  We cower at the thought "Who could be the next innocent victim of kidnapping, urban terrorism or a world war?"

        Fear can paralyze us especially if we see that those who are responsible for safeguarding our freedom are linked with the enemies of peace.  The present state of peace in the country and in the world can make us cynical.  Can we still trust anybody?  Can we still sleep peacefully secure in the thought that all will be well?  If we cannot trust anybody anymore, we would all lose our minds.

        We must trust God and believe that He will take care of us in this moment of fragile peace.  We know that the will of God for us is peace.  Against the threat of terrorism and war, let us turn to God and ask Him to heal our world, to heal our land.

        The Holy Father Pope John Paul II has declared the 14th of December this year as World Day of Prayer and Fasting for all the victims of terrorism and war.

        It will be our world day of prayer and fasting for world peace.  It will be our world day of atonement for our sins against peace.  In one way or another, we have contributed to the fearsome situation of the nation and the world right now.

        In the Archdiocese of Manila, we shall observe this World Day of Prayer and Fasting in this manner:
  1.. All the Masses on that day will carry as a special intention reparation for the sins of humankind against peace.  I admonish our priests to speak about this in the homily of that day.
  2.. The fifteen mysteries of the rosary shall be prayed in public at a time when the community can gather most conveniently.
  3.. There shall be at least an hour of exposition of the Blessed Sacrament for the intentions of world peace.
  4.. The day shall be a day of obligatory fasting and abstinence.  There must be no Christmas parties held on that day.  The money saved from not having any parties on that day must be given to the poor.
        Our friends can betray us.  Our peacekeeping authorities can turn against us.  God is faithful to His people.  He will never forsake the people who call upon His holy name.
  "If my people, upon whom my name has been pronounced, humble themselves and pray, and seek my presence and turn from their evil ways, I will hear them from heaven and pardon their sins and revive their land."  (2 Chr 7:14)

                                                                                        JAIME CARDINAL L. SIN, DD
                                                                                               Archbishop of Manila

Villa San Miguel