[Blueboard] Lights for Hope

Efren Debulgado efren at pusit.admu.edu.ph
Sat Dec 1 11:31:07 PHT 2001

“The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light;
Upon those who dwelt in the land of gloom a light has shone.”

Isaiah 9:1
>From the Midnight Mass Liturgy for Christmas

This Christmas season, High School Class 76, together with
College Class 80, is launching the Lights for Hope project.  In
the midst of many concerns and difficulties that beset our
country and our people, with all the temptations to despair and
give up as we are burdened by numerous crises, we need to remind
ourselves of the hope that the coming of Jesus, the Light of the
World, has not only promised but has actually given us in his
life, death and resurrection

The University community is invited to be a light of hope and a
leader in national development, doing its humble share in moving
its members and others in our society to act and overcome a sense
of helplessness and victimhood.  Through this Lights for Hope
project, we aim to make ourselves experience that we can do what
it takes to make our country a better place and give our youth a
better future.

The Bellarmine Field, the future main “plaza” of the Church of
the Gesu, is the symbolic center of this Lights for Hope
project.  The lights hanging from the trees around the field were
donated by various companies, classes, groups, families and
individuals, and part of their donation is what will start a fund
that is primarily earmarked for the University and the Jesuit
Philippine Province’s poverty reduction fund.

At the same time, the fund will support Christmas activities for
the young children of our staff, the young children from the
apostolate areas of our socially oriented activities or programs
for students, and the young children from the parish apostolates
of the Jesuit scholastics.  In the coming seasons and occasions
(e.g. Easter, People Power I and II anniversaries, etc.), we hope
the Church of the Gesu and its main plaza, Bellarmine Field, will
become a traditional place of celebrating the graces and the
spirit we remember during such seasons and occasions;  the grace
and the spirit that continue to give us hope.

We invite you to join the activities that we envision to be a
humble source of hope for our country and our people, and a
reminder to us in the Ateneo de Manila community to always pray
and strive to be a source of hope, to be Lux in Domino in our
world today.

Schedule of Activities for December 2001 – Games, Rides, Magic
Show and Party

Wednesday, 19 December                               Young
Children from the Apostolate Areas
4:00 to 7:00 p.m.
of Socially Oriented Activities

Thursday, 20 December                                  Young
Children from the Apostolate Areas
4:00 to 7:00 p.m.                                              of
Jesuit Scholastics

Friday, 21 December                                       Young
Children of University Employees
4:00 to 7:00 p.m.

NOTE:  The Lights for Hope project will be inaugurated with the
lighting of the trees on 2 December 2001, after the 6:15 p.m.
Mass in Bellarmine Field.